* Translated by AI

Starnews

'Dereliction of Duty' Song Min-ho Testifies.. Duty Supervisor: "Accomplice? No. But I Did Aid"[Star Issue]

Published:

Yoon Sanggeun

*This content was translated by AI.

Singer Song Min-ho /Photo=NEWS1) Reporter Kwon Hyun-jin
Singer Song Min-ho /Photo=NEWS1) Reporter Kwon Hyun-jin

A, the former social service supervisor responsible for Song Min-ho, who was indicted alongside WINNER's Song Min-ho on charges of violating the Military Service Act, again denied allegations of conspiracy but did not deny that he aided the violation.

The Seoul Western District Court's Criminal Division 10 held the second trial of A on charges of violating the Military Service Act on the 21st.

During the trial, A's lawyer stated, "A does not deny that there were improper methods in the process of handling some attendance records," but argued, "There was no prior conspiracy or division of roles to falsely record attendance and departure logs."

Furthermore, A's side requested to call Song Min-ho as a witness, and the court indicated it would consider adopting the request once the relevant application is submitted.

The next trial is scheduled for July 14.

The Prosecution Service believes that supervisor A was involved in Song Min-ho's unauthorized absences. It is reported that when Song Min-ho claimed he would not report to work due to oversleeping or fatigue, A permitted it and falsely prepared documents as if he had reported to work normally. The Prosecution Service specified in the indictment that in May 2023, A told Song Min-ho, "I have training tomorrow and will not report to work, so let's meet on May 31," thereby informing Song Min-ho in advance that he would not be working, after which Song Min-ho arbitrarily failed to report to work and subsequently prepared daily duty status sheets as if he had reported to work.

The court previously held the first trial for both individuals on April 21. The Prosecution Service sought a one-year and six-month prison sentence for Song Min-ho, who admitted to all charges.

The Seoul Western District Prosecutors' Office Criminal Division 1 (Chief Prosecutor Won Shin-hye) filed a non-detained indictment against the two on December 30, 2025, on charges of violating the Military Service Act. According to the Prosecution Service, Song Min-ho worked as a social service worker at a facility in Mapo-gu, Seoul, from March 2023 to December 2024 but is accused of leaving his workplace without valid reason and neglecting his attendance and duties. A is accused of neglecting supervision despite being aware of Song Min-ho's dereliction of duty.

Meanwhile, in his final statement, Song Min-ho said, "I would like to express my apologies to the presiding judge and everyone present here. As a young person of the Republic of Korea, I failed to faithfully fulfill my national defense obligation until the end. I suffer from bipolar disorder and panic disorder, and I am well aware that this illness should never be used as an excuse or alibi. Seeing such shameful behavior where I, as someone loved by many, failed to set a good example, I feel truly remorseful. All that remains is deep regret for my choices." He continued, "I am currently undergoing intensive treatment. I hope to recover my health as soon as possible and, if given the opportunity to serve again, I want to complete my duty faithfully until the end." He added, "I would like to offer my apologies once again."

Song Min-ho, who was classified as a supplementary service member (Grade 4) during the conscription physical examination, fulfilled his military obligation as a social service worker at the Mapo Facility Management Corporation from March 2023 and transferred his workplace to the Mapo Resident Convenience Facility in March 2024. However, just before his discharge from the call-up, allegations of poor performance emerged. Frequent sick leave and unreliable attendance became issues. It is known that Song Min-ho has been receiving treatment for panic disorder, bipolar disorder, and other conditions.

Song Min-ho, who was discharged from the call-up on December 23, 2024, faced allegations of neglecting his duties, such as failing to report to work properly during his time as a social service worker. Consequently, the Seoul Mapo Police Station conducted a summons investigation on Song Min-ho, who was filed under suspicion of violating the Military Service Act on January 23, 2025. At that time, Song Min-ho explained the facts regarding the allegations raised against him, stating that he "worked according to regulations" and "had no problems with his service," but subsequent investigations over three rounds revealed that he largely admitted to dereliction of duty and unauthorized absence from his workplace.

In particular, according to the indictment submitted by the Prosecution Service, Song Min-ho was absent without leave for a total of 102 days while working as a social service worker at the Mapo-gu Facility Management Corporation and Resident Convenience Facility, leaving his duty without valid reason. The service period for social service workers is one year and nine months; excluding weekends and public holidays, the total number of days required to report for work is approximately 430 days. Song Min-ho was absent without leave for a period corresponding to about one-quarter of that time. Notably, in July 2024, he was absent for a total of 19 days. Out of 23 days he was required to work, he reported for duty on only four days.

<© STARNEWS. All rights reserved. No reproduction or redistribution allowed.>

*This content was translated by AI.

Recommended News

Daily Trending News

Editor’s Pick

Latest in Entertainment