*This content was translated by AI.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Kane Velazquez, 43, has been released on parole 11 months after he was jailed for shooting a man accused of molesting his son.
The U.S. media "The Washington Times" and "Athlon Sports" reported on the 17th (Korea Standard Time) that "Belazquez was released from prison in California and returned to his family's arms."
It was a shocking aftermath of the incident. Velazquez had been accused of shooting several times in February 2022 after chasing a vehicle in which Harry Gulate, who was accused of molesting his son, who was 4 at the time, was in the car.
Velazquez reportedly hit and shot the vehicle after a chase that spanned about 11 miles (17.7 km), but instead of Gulate, he was shot twice in the arm and torso of his stepfather, Paul Bender. At the time, it was confirmed that Gulate's mother, Patricia Bender, was also in the vehicle.
Initially, Velazquez was sentenced to five years in prison at a sentencing hearing in March 2025 after submitting a non-conflict answer to a number of felony charges, including attempted murder, gun assault, and vehicle shooting. Prosecutors considered life in prison, but Santa Clara County Court Judge Arthur Bocanegra gave Velazquez the lightest possible sentence, in tears at the tragic situation surrounding the case.
Velazquez actually served 11 months in prison during his five-year sentence, according to The Washington Times. During the previous trial, a total of 1,283 days of pre-sentence detention, including the period of house arrest and detention, were recognized and eligible for parole in February 2026.
"What I did was not right," Velazquez told the court in March last year. "I will learn from my mistakes and help others. Trust the children and have open communication with them," he said.
On the other hand, Gulate's mother, Patricia Bender, denied the charges altogether, saying, "The outcome of the sentence based on unfounded claims is very disappointing." Harry Gulate is currently charged with obscene acts against minors. The trial is set to take place on April 15. The Velázquez family has also separately filed a civil lawsuit against the Gulate family for covering up abuse and negligence.
The fighting machine is cheering at the news of Velazquez's release. UFC president Dana White told a news conference: "I'm happy to have him back in the arms of his family. What the Velazquez family went through was very terrible in and of itself," he said. Colleagues such as former teammate Daniel Cormier and former champion Khabib Nurmagomedov also sent congratulatory messages through social networking services (SNS). When Velazquez left Soledad prison and returned home, the band's performance resonated, and it was also revealed that he was reunited with his children.
Velazquez, who beat Brock Lesnar to become a heavyweight champion in 2010, is a legendary fighter who has dominated an era by successfully defending the title twice. Retired from Octagon in 2019.
<© STARNEWS. All rights reserved. No reproduction or redistribution allowed.>
*This content was translated by AI.

